~ by Maria Benner
I’ve lived in Alaska most of my life, and when I shop for gifts, I always try to buy from small local businesses, because they make this place quirky, interesting and cultured. Without our artsy community, Anchorage would be a sad place. So, I came up with a list of five businesses that offer perfect gifts for Mother’s Day. You can feel good about supporting the local economy, while giving a unique and meaningful gift. FYI, Mother’s Day is May 13th.
- Food & Wine Class at Marx Brothers Cafe. Mom will get to explore wine pairing with 18 foods and 9 wines. That will surely make her forget all her worries. The last class until next January is May 19th. The cost is $95.
- A Hand-knit Qiviut Item from Oomingmak Musk Ox Producers’ Co-op. Qiviut is the downy-soft underwool from the Arctic musk ox. It is eight times warmer than wool, extraordinarily lightweight, and very soft. A hat, or scarf made from this yarn will keep your mom warm in style.
- Custom Oil Painting by Real Art Is Better. There is still time to commission a custom oil painting before Mother’s Day. It can be of a pet, a cabin, a beautiful scene from a vacation, or anything that will make her happy every time she looks at it. Or choose from several existing originals and limited-edition prints. We are currently offering a 15% discount.
- Locally Made Jewelry, Pottery, and more at Dos Manos Gallery. Check out this quirky shop for hip creations by local artists. The gallery offers contemporary and trendy items that will make Mom feel fashionable and artsy.
- Yoga Classes. There are many local yoga studios that offer classes for all ability levels. Mom would come home relaxed and centered after a class.
Cheers to all the wonderful and caring Moms who make this world go round!