Commissioned oil painting. Oil on panel, 36″x18″. By Scott Clendaniel.
I noticed that many of my customers who order a custom oil painting have never commissioned a painting from an artist before. A custom painting is a very thoughtful and unique gift, especially for a person who has everything. So, to make the process easier, I have compiled a list of frequently asked questions about commissioning a painting from me. *This may not apply to all artists.
1. How much does it cost? Here is a list of prices for my standard sizes. Domestic shipping is free.
2. Can I get any size I want? Yes, I can make custom sizes. You can contact me for a price quote, but expect an average of about $300 per square foot.
3. Is a frame included? Yes, every painting that leaves my studio is framed in a natural wood frame with hanging hardware installed, so it’s ready to hang.
4. Can you paint on canvas? Yes, I can paint on canvas, or wood panel. Your choice.
5. What is the turn-around time? Depending on my work load, turn-around time is 2-3 weeks (oil paint takes 7-10 days to dry), plus 3-5 days for shipping.
6. How do I know what my painting will look like? You can expect your painting to be in the same style as the rest of my artwork. I will ask you to send me photos of your subject matter, and I will compose a sketch for your review. This is your chance to make any changes you’d like, and we’ll keep working on a sketch until we get it just right. Once the painting is finished, I will send you a picture of it, and you’ll have one more chance to make small edits before the oil paint starts to dry.
7. How do I order the painting? You can order a Custom Beer Painting, a Custom Airplane Painting, or a Custom Bike Painting online directly from my Etsy shop. You can also just call me, send me an e-mail, or a direct message through social media, or this blog. My contact information is available on my website.
8. Do I need to come by the studio in person? You are welcome to make an appointment to meet at my studio to discuss your painting, or to pick up the finished piece. But if that’s not possible, the whole process can be accomplished online, and I will mail the painting to you, or directly to the recipient.
9. When do I pay? Full payment, or 50% is due upfront, before I begin working on the first sketch. Payment plans are also an option.
10. What payment methods do you accept? I accept all common payment methods, including cash, check, credit card, PayPal, Venmo.
11. What if I can’t find photos for the painting I want? You can look through my existing paintings and select one that you really like, and I can paint a similar one for you. I can also look for reference photos online that have no copyright restrictions, and through my extensive photo library.
12. Can you make prints of my painting? The artist retains copyrights to the image. You can purchase copyrights for a negotiated fee, otherwise you can order prints from me if/when you need them. Standard prints pricing applies ranging from $25 – $55 for a signed, and numbered limited-edition print.
If you have additional questions that I didn’t cover here, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments section below.