WOW! I did it! I painted 365 beer paintings in 2014! I am celebrating the end of the Year of Beer Paintings in Talkeetna with my closest friends! For the last painting I chose Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, because it is one of my favorite beers, and it is time for celebrating! I hope you enjoyed the project as much as I did! Thank you for sending and bringing me beers I couldn’t get in Alaska, for all your kind comments, for welcoming me to Philadelphia so warmly, and for following the project!!! I couldn’t have done it without you! Stay tuned in 2015 for new beer-themed oil paintings on Thirsty Thursdays.
Cheers and Happy New Year!
I have compiled some end-of-year stats. See below.
You can purchase this painting, or a limited-edition print at my Etsy shop.
End of Year of Beer Paintings Stats!
I painted 365 oil paintings of different beers in 2014. The paintings are 8”x10”. I decided which beers to paint largely based on availability in Anchorage (where I live), and the places I traveled during the year (HI, PA, DE, NY, MA, VT, NH, ME, NJ).
One of my goals was to paint at least one beer from all 50 states and Washington, DC. I achieved that goal on December 10th. I drank every beer I painted in this series, and blogged about it.
90+ beers were mailed to me by breweries, friends, and supporters of the project.
11 beers were painted live at brewpubs
3 beers were my own homebrew
The top 10 states with the most beers painted:
Alaska (because that’s where I live) – 70
California – 44
Pennsylvania – 29
Oregon – 23
Michigan – 16
Colorado – 11
Washington – 10
New York – 9
Hawaii – 8
Texas – 7
I also painted beers from 16 different countries.
The top 5 countries with the most beers painted:
Belgium – 12
Germany – 10
Canada – 7
England – 4
Mexico – 4
The breweries with the most beers painted:
- Midnight Sun Brewing Company, Anchorage, Alaska – 22
- Alaskan Brewing Company – 15
- Deschutes Brewing Company – 9
- Tie between Victory Brewing and Stone Brewing – 8 each
- Sierra Nevada Brewing – 7
I posted the paintings on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The paintings with the most likes on Instagram:
- Tie between Sculpin IPA by Ballast Point Brewing (CA) and 75 Minute Boil IPA by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (DE) – 98
- Arthur Farmhouse Saison by Hill Farmstead Brewery (VT) – 93
- Double Dose IPA by Lawson’s Finest Liquids (VT) – 92
- Tie between Hell or High Watermelon by 21st Amendment Brewery (CA) and Smoked Porter by Alaskan Brewing Co. – 86
- Delirium Nocturnum (Belgium) – 83
There’s no correlation between likes on Instagram and sales. After the original painting sells, I release 365 limited-edition, signed prints.
The best selling images so far are:
- Heady Topper Imperial IPA (VT)
- Twister Creek IPA by Denali Brewing Company in Talkeetna, Alaska
- Hop Devil by Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA
- Tie between IPA by Stone Brewing and Spotted Cow Ale by New Glarus Brewing Company in New Glarus, Wisconsin
- Tie between Nugget Nectar Ale by Tröegs Brewing in Hershey, PA and Pliny the Elder IPA by Russian River Brewing.
This project kept me very busy, but it was one of the best years of my artist career!